I Adopted My 7 Siblings When I Was 18 So They Wouldn't Get Divorced - Three Years Later, My Youngest Brother Gave Me a Photo That Revealed What Really Happened to Our Parents

 

When I was 18, I was struggling to keep my seven siblings together after our parents died. For three years, I thought I could barely keep us afloat. Then my youngest brother found an old photo, and the truth behind it changed everything I thought about our family.


An Unexpected Doorway

It was a normal day when I opened the door to find two police officers on our steps. Behind me, Lila was laughing in the kitchen because Tommy had poured cereal into a pot and called it “breakfast soup.” Phoebe was yelling and calling him disgusting, while Sybil was searching for her left shoe. Ethan and Adam were arguing over a hoodie neither of them owned, and Benji was dragging his blanket across the floor like a little, tired ghost. For ten seconds, life was normal.


Then one of the officers said, “Are you Rowan?” I already knew what had happened, and the look on his face confirmed my worst fears. “Yes,” I replied, hoping I was wrong.


An Unexpected Reality

“It was an accident,” he said. “And your parents didn’t survive.” I heard Lila stop laughing. “Where are Mom and Dad?” Phoebe whispered. I opened my mouth, but no words came out. It was an unreal situation, and I felt powerless.


A few days later, Mrs. Hart from Child Protective Services sat across from me at our kitchen table with a file that could ruin my life. “These kids need temporary placement,” she said. “Together?” I asked, but her answer was clear. Lila made a small noise from the hallway, and I knew I had to fight for them.


The Fight for Family

“They just lost Mom and Dad,” I said. “If you knew, you wouldn’t ask me to separate them like they were mismatched socks.” I felt like I had to do everything I could to keep our family together. “Love isn’t always enough,” she said. “Then teach me what else I need. Help me.”


The courtship got even worse. Aunt Denise arrived in pearls and a cream coat, with Uncle Warren carrying a briefcase as if they had already won. “I love these kids,” she told the judge. “But Rowan is still a kid himself.” I felt like I was losing my grip on everything.

Post a Comment

0 Comments